New Home Ministries (NHM) is pleased to announce and offer the Robert C. Blakes, Sr. Scholarship to high school graduating seniors who meet the required criteria. Scholarship funds are granted for a maximum of four (4) years, unless the student graduates prior to reaching the four year maximum time frame. Once a student receives their first R.C. Blakes, Sr. scholarship, they will be classified as a R.C. Blakes, Sr. Continuing Scholarship Student.
Continuing students, prior R.C. Blakes, Sr. Scholarship recipients, must meet the scholarship requirements each year to be re-certified for the renewal of scholarship funds. Both the 2020 high school graduating seniors and continuing students must meet the scholarship requirements as indicated on the information sheets and submit the appropriate required documents (listed under each category). Only 2020 high school graduates are eligible/required to complete the high school graduate scholarship application.
Applicants must complete and submit the R.C. Blakes, Sr. Scholarship Application online and adhere to the following requirements:
- Must be a US citizen residing in Louisiana parishes of Jefferson, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, and Tangipahoa, or be a member of the New Home Ministries Family of Churches located in Baton Rouge, LA, Hammond, LA, or Houston, TX.
- Have an OFFICIAL high school transcript emailed from school administration to R.C. Blakes, Sr. Scholarship Committee at email@example.com by the deadline. Transcripts may not be hand-carried or delivered by students, parents or anyone else.
- Submit a copy of an acceptance letter from an accredited college, university or vocational technical school you will be attending.
- Submit a copy of ACT or SAT score report.
- A high school teacher recommendation form must be completed and emailed from the teacher’s school email address to the committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. This form must be completed by either an 11th or 12th grade teacher who taught you. The recommendation form may not be completed by a school administrator unless the administrator is also a teacher. If this is the case, then it must be noted on the form. Also, the form cannot be completed by a family member.
- You must submit verification of 30 volunteer hours for two years (for example, feeding the homeless, Volunteers of America, Second Harvest, etc.)
- Include a small picture with your scholarship application.
- Write a short essay telling the scholarship committee about you as an individual. What do you like to do? Where/How do you spend your free time? What college would you like to go and why? How your pursued degree will contribute to your role as a Christian leader? The purpose of the essay is to help us get to know you better beyond your scholastic achievements that are shown in your transcript and test scores. The essay should not exceed 500 words.
- ALL REQUIRED INFORMATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY DEADLINE: MAY 5, 2020.
Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) Requirement
2.50 – 3.49———————$2,500.00
3.50 – 4.00———————$5,000.00
*All scholarships are awarded for the fall of each year for a maximum of four (4) years (unless student graduates earlier). You will continue to receive funds as long as continuing student requirements are met. Please see continuing student scholarship information sheet. Submit all information electronically.